DevOps Engineer – Permanent
One of Stream Recruitment prestigious clients is looking to a DevOps Engineer. You will have experience of designing and building complex infrastructures, and you will truly embrace DevOps principles and working practices, combined with the ability and desire to transfer skills and expertise to colleagues in other disciplines.
Others describe you in the following ways:
Passionate about technology:
- You know your tech inside out and you keep up to date with new things and take your personal development seriously.
You focus on delivery:
- You take pride in using technology efficiently to deliver value quickly and to a high standard… And in line with the estimate!
You know your craft:
- You care about your work and providing the best solution, you’re willing to push for it but you also understand the trade-offs and compromises needed to deliver, and that sometimes what’s technically best isn’t the right solution.
You believe in Infrastructure as Code:
- You value repeatable, consistent environments along with the different ways of achieving them.
You believe in Agile and Lean methodologies:
- You believe that software should be developed using Agile and Lean methodologies, and you bring the best of these to your operational work.
You value collective ownership and collaboration:
You’re willing and excited to have your views and opinions challenged by colleagues of all disciplines and to collaborate to find solutions. You want to use automation and tooling to enable the development team to carry out routine infrastructure and operational tasks, freeing you up for higher level work. But you’ll still be available to assist at any time.
The Extra Bits
We’ll be looking to see good experience and awareness across some of the following areas:
- Experience in a client facing role and comfortable leading when needed
- Experience in both designing and delivering the infrastructure architecture
- Infrastructure – Physical, Virtualized, Containerised
- Cloud Providers – AWS, Azure, GCP, Skyscape
- Configuration management (Ansible, Chef, Puppet, Saltstack ..)
- Container Tech (Docker, Kubernetes, ECS)
- Private Cloud (Cloudstack, OpenStack, CloudFoundry)
- Agile and Lean methodologies.
- Building deployment pipelines using CI/CD tools. (Jenkins, Bamboo, Git, .. )
- Networking principles and practices, eg Security Groups, VLANS, Firewalls, TCP/IP.
- Monitoring, metrics, and logging (Logstash, Graylog, Sensu, Graphite, Zabbix, ..)
- OS Tuning and Management – Linux/Unix/BSD and Windows
- Web Technologies – Nginx, Apache, Varnish, HAproxy, IIS
- Vulnerability/threat assessment and management.
- Databases – PostgreSQL, MySQL/MariaDB, Mongo, Hadoop, Elasticsearch, Cassandra, Redis
- Scripting skills (Bash, Python, Ruby)
- Hardware and Data Centres – not all projects are cloud based.